Joe Barlow, BSc
Joe Barlow received his Diploma in Biological Sciences from Camosun College in 1988, and his Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry/Microbiology from the University of Victoria in 1990. He has over 20 years of industry experience in biotechnology. Joe spent 10 years operating a Diagnostic Pathology Lab, 9 years as a Senior Research Scientist developing and manufacturing vaccines for a biotechnology company, and 3 years as Quality Control Microbiologist for Pfizer. Areas of interest include the human microbiome, ancestral health principles, and environmental sustainability principles.
- Familiarity with the Canadian Cannabis Act and its Regulations.
- Development, review, editing, and management of standard operating procedures and study protocols.
- Experience in the building and operation of a Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) certified, biologics manufacturing facility for Pfizer/Zoetis. This includes operation of air handling systems, maintenance and sanitation of production equipment, product and personnel traffic control procedures.
- Five years of experience conducting biologics manufacturing facility quality operations for Pfizer/Zoetis, including pest control management, managing product storage conditions, managing product shipping conditions, QC sample collection and retention, raw materials management, and equipment process validation.
- Five years of experience performing quality control testing of both autogenous and licensed commercial vaccine products, as required by the CFIA. This includes all in process quality control tasks, residual formaldehyde testing, microbial sterility testing, clinical trials for safety, potency and efficacy.
- Data management including preparation of quality documentation and audit of batch records for product release as required by the CFIA.
- As part of Quality Operations, experience executing product recall and product destruction procedures.
- Three years as Site Security Officer for Pfizer/Zoetis biologics manufacturing facility.
- Seven years as site Biological Safety Officer for Pfizer/Zoetis, responsible for importation, storage and management of infectious biological agents. Working knowledge of the CFIA Office of Bio-hazard Containment and Safety regulations.
- Regulatory compliance for Bio-Containment as required by the CFIA, Containment Standards for Veterinary Facilities and Containment Standards for Facilities Handling Aquatic Animal Pathogens.